Community Development Block Grants:
The Hurricane Sandy CDBG Disaster Recovery Action Plan V13 is available for public comment through noon on November 26th. A Public Hearing on the amended Action Plan will be held on Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 2 PM in DOA, conference room B, 2nd floor.
The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has announced three separate allocations of Hurricane Sandy Community Development Block Grant - Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) funds for Rhode Island, bringing the State's total Sandy CDBG-DR award to $19,911,000. Previously, the State of Rhode Island received $8,935,237 in federal CDBG-DR funding to address the impacts of the March 2010 floods. These funds may not be applied to recovery activities associated with other disasters, unless otherwise specified.
CDBG-DR funds may be used to support a variety of activities, including:
- Restoring Public Facilities and Infrastructure;
- Housing Rehabilitation/Replacement;
- Property Acquisition;
- Economic Revitalization; and
- Recovery Planning.
Unless specifically waived by the federal government, CDBG program guidelines, including national objective requirements, apply. The Cities of Cranston ($1,277,067) and Warwick ($2,787,697) received separate CDBG-DR allocations for the March 2010 floods. No Rhode Island municipalities received separate allocations for Hurricane Sandy recovery.
CDBG-DR funds are intended to support long-term recovery from a natural disaster. Short term/emergency assistance is available through other sources, including the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
Hurricane Sandy CDBG-DR Allocation
Refer to CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V12 (April 2018) for grant information.. All prior versions of the Hurricane Sandy CDBG-DR Action Plan are available below. Substantially amended versions are designated by a number (e.g. V1, V2). Versions with only minor amendments are designated by a letter (e.g. V2b, V2c).
Hurricane Sandy CDBG-DR funding is available statewide. However, 80% of the allocation is reserved for activities in Washington County, designated a “most impacted and distressed county.” Eligible disasters include Hurricanes Sandy and Irene, and the February 2013 Winter Storm (Nemo).
If your primary residence was damaged by Hurricane Sandy and your household is low/moderate income, you may be eligible for a CDBG-DR grant to assist with repairs/improvements. South County: For applications and more information, contact Washington County Community Development Corp. (WCCDC) at 667-7185 or email@example.com. Newport County: For applications and more information, contact Church Community Housing Corp. (CHCC) at 846-5114, or visit http://www.cchcnewport.org/.
Other Disaster Resources
Other resources may become available to assist individuals, businesses, and municipalities with recovery after presidentially-declared disasters. Eligibility for federal disaster programs is limited to specific counties. Examples include:
- Rental assistance, grants, and loans through FEMA and SBA to eligible residents that register for FEMA Individual Assistance at www.DisasterAssistance.gov
- An Emergency Loan Fund for businesses through RI Commerce Corporation
- Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance for eligible employers through R.I. Department of Labor and Training
- Temporary staff for municipal governments and state agencies through R.I. Department of Labor and Training under a National Emergency Grant.
- R.I. Emergency Management Agency has information on FEMA Public Assistance and other programs for municipal governments, eligible non-profit organizations, and state agencies.
- Disaster Relief Grants for Historic Properties through R.I. Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission in accordance with National Park Service regulations.
March 2010 Flood Activities
Specific activities were funded through a competitive grant application process open to all Rhode Island municipalities in 2011 and 2012. Funded activities include:
- River Wall Repair/Improvements in Pawtucket;
- Stormwater Infrastructure Repair/Improvements in Bristol, East Providence, Johnston, West Warwick, and Westerly;
- Debris Removal in Richmond;
- Life/Safety Infrastructure Improvements in Richmond, West Warwick, and Westerly;
- Residential Rehabilitation/Reconstruction in Narragansett, Richmond, and Westerly;
- Acquisition and Clearance of Floodplain Properties in Cranston and Cumberland; and
- Flood Mitigation Planning Studies in Cumberland and Johnston.
These activities are underway or complete.
Disaster Housing Planning
The Office of Housing and Community Development, in conjunction with RIEMA, has established a Disaster Housing Task Force (DHTF), also known as Recovery Support Function (RSF) 4, Housing. DHTF members representing volunteer organizations, the private sector, and federal, State, and local governments address pre-disaster housing resilience and post-disaster housing needs.
R.I. Department of Health maintains a Special Needs Emergency Registry for Rhode Islanders with disabilities, chronic conditions, and other special healthcare needs. Rhode Island residents with special needs are encouraged to enroll.
CDBG-DR Resources: General
- CDBG-DR Policies and Procedures
- Contract Amendment Policy Memo
- CDBG-DR QPR Form
- CDBG-DR Activity Closeout Checklist
- Item A: Closeout Certification
- Item B: Final Quarterly Report
- Item C: Final Expenditure Report
- Item D: Section 3 Report (HUD-60002)
- Item J: MBE/WBE Report (HUD-2516)
CDBG-DR Resources: Hurricane Sandy
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V12 (April 2018)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V11b (December 2017)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V11 (May 2017)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V10 (draft February 2017)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V9 (January 2017)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V8 (September 2016)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V7 (July 2016)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V6b (June 2016)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V6 (April 2016)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V5 (December 2015)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V4b (August 2015)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V4 (February 2015)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V3c (December 2014)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V3b (August 2014)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V3 (May 2014)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V2c (January 2014)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V2b with Performance Projections (October 2013)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V2 (approved July 2013)
- CDBG-DR Sandy Action Plan V1 (draft June 2013)
- Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013, Public Law 113-2
- R.I. CDBG-DR Sandy Allocations, Federal Register
- Sandy ERR Adoption Guidance
- Sandy Contract Summary Report
CDBG-DR Resources: 2010 Floods
- Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2010, Public Law 111-212
- R.I. CDBG-DR Flood Allocation, Federal Register
- CDBG-DR Flood Action Plan
- CDBG-DR Flood Application Handbook
Quarterly Progress Reports
- 2018 Quarter 2
- 2018 Quarter 1
- 2017 Quarter 4
- 2017 Quarter 3
- 2017 Quarter 2
- 2017 Quarter 1
- 2016 Quarter 4
- 2016 Quarter 3
- 2016 Quarter 2
- 2016 Quarter 1
- 2015 Quarter 4
- 2015 Quarter 3
- 2015 Quarter 2
- 2015 Quarter 1
- 2014 Quarter 4
- 2014 Quarter 3
- 2014 Quarter 2
- 2014 Quarter 1
- 2013 Quarter 4
- 2013 Quarter 3
- 2013 Quarter 2
- 2013 Quarter 1
- 2012 Quarter 3, Quarter 4